WASHINGTON (Jan. 7, 2016) – CQ Roll Call, an Economist Group business, today announced five new columnists and the appointment of an audience development editor.
“I’m delighted to welcome these five insightful writers to Roll Call’s editorial lineup,” said Editor-in-Chief Melinda Henneberger. “They’ll help make Roll Call the go-to source for political insight in 2016.”
The new lineup — Jonathan Allen, Matt Lewis, Patricia Murphy, Leslie Sanchez and Walter Shapiro – will write regularly for the opinion page Roll Call is relaunching next week.
Last month Henneberger hired five new full-time staffers for the Capitol Hill newspaper, including Phyllis W. Jordan, Mary C. Curtis as editors, and Stephanie Akin, Eric Garcia and Rema Rahman as reporters.
The five new columnists each bring a unique range of experience to their new roles:
· Jonathan Allen, co-author of the New York Times-bestselling Clinton biography “HRC,” has covered Congress, the White House and elections over the past 15 years. This is a homecoming for Jon, who won the Dirksen and Hume awards as a reporter for CQ – the first place he worked in Washington. A frequent political analyst on national television, he’s also been Bloomberg’s Washington bureau chief and Politico’s White House bureau chief.
· Matt Lewis is a Senior Contributor at the Daily Caller and author of “Too Dumb to Fail: How the GOP Won Elections by Sacrificing Its Ideas (And How It Can Reclaim Its Conservative Roots).”
· Patricia Murphy covers national politics for the Daily Beast. Previously, she was the Capitol Hill bureau chief for Politics Daily, founder and editor of Citizen Jane Politics, and a contributor to The Washington Post’s “She the People” blog. Before working in journalism, Patricia was a staffer for three senators. She graduated from Vanderbilt University and holds a master’s degree in journalism from Columbia University.
· Leslie Sanchez is a political analyst and public opinion researcher specializing in Hispanic-Latino engagement and the women’s sector. Previously she served as executive director of the White House Initiative on Hispanic Education under President George W. Bush. She’s the author of “You’ve Come a Long Way, Maybe and Los Republicanos: Why Hispanics and Republicans Need Each Other.”
· Walter Shapiro is a veteran of Politics Daily, USA Today, Time, Newsweek and the Washington Post. He is a lecturer in political science at Yale and a fellow at the Brennan Center (NYU). His book “Hustling Hitler: The Jewish Vaudevillian Who Fooled the Fuhrer” will be published in May.
Also joining Roll Call later this month, ahead of the March rollout of our new website will be audience development editor Andrew Breiner. He has built engaged online audiences for political campaigns, non-profit organizations, and media outlets, including his most recent position at ThinkProgress where he grew the climate section’s Facebook from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of likes and helped bring ThinkProgress itself to 1.6 million likes.
About CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call provides intelligence and grassroots advocacy resources for government and political professionals. As the publisher of CQ.com, CQ Weekly, Roll Call and several topic-specific verticals, it is the premier source of timely, objective news and analysis on government and electoral politics. CQ Roll Call has won more Dirksen Awards for ‘Distinguished Reporting of Congress’ than any other organization, and for 70 years we have been committed to providing nonpartisan insights and in-depth analysis on Congress and the policy-making process. The company’s products and services cover all aspects of legislative, government and electoral processes, giving clients actionable information and custom tools to maximize their influence.
LAK Public Relations
917 589 5443
LAK Public Relations, Inc.
1251 Avenue of the Americas New York, NY 10020
Tel: (212) 575-4545
Fax: (212) 575-0519
Cell: (917) 589-5443